Tuesday, February 16, 2010
4 poblano peppers
2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 pounds ground chicken (I used turkey because that's what I had and I didn't use quite 2 lbs.)
Salt and pepper
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon coriander (I did not put this in because the store only had seeds and I was confused by that so I just left it out)
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup dill, chopped (I used dried)
1/4 cup chives or scallions, finely chopped (I didn't put this in either because, well, I forgot)
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
Hot sauce, to taste
1 cup sour cream
Char peppers under the broiler with oven door cracked for steam to escape. Place charred peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam (you can also just put them in a brown paper bag and roll the top down). Let cool then peel, seed and finely chop.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a medium size pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and brown and crumble the meat. Add onions and garlic to the pot and cook 5 minutes to soften. Season with cumin and coriander, and stir in chopped peppers. Add stock and herbs, and simmer 5 minutes. Season with hot sauce to taste.
Turn off heat and stir in sour cream to combine. Serve with tortilla chips alongside for dipping.
*I found the process of charring the peppers kind of fun. Here is before...
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Monday, February 8, 2010
Brett and I and ALL our pizzas!
Lucy wearing her DiGiorno beads
"Tucker, what did you do for those beads?"
I made a Brownie Banana Split Pizza to keep up with the theme for dessert
The Billings Family LOVE DiGiorno pizza!
And last, the boys and their food...
Saturday, February 6, 2010
This week, I cooked up some rather yummy dishes that I hope you enjoy!
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake: It calls for fresh blueberries but I used frozen. I also used the buttermilk substitute (1/2 T. vinegar in a 1/2 cup measuring cup and then fill with milk) This cake was fabulous breakfast last Sunday that was perfect wit a cup of coffee and served warm out of the oven.
- Italian Spinach Pie: While this may not have been Brett's idea of a "man's meal" he enjoyed it and I thought it was out of this world. A few changes: add some garlic, a whole cup of chopped red peppers, and maybe some onions, basil instead of oregano and a sprinkle of garlic salt on top. IT does need to cook for a little longer than the recipe says.
- Grilled BBQ Sandwiches with Spicy Avocado Sauce: These were super yummy! Since it is FREEZING outside, I grilled them on my grill pan on the stove top.
- Since I had chicken, buns and red pepper left over, we had chicken sandwiches another night, but this time it was my own creation. Sara Lee Wheat Buns (80 calories), chicken (pounded into thin cutlets, sprinkle with a little dry ranch and grill), spinach leaves, sliced red pepper, a touch of Light Ranch Dressing, and a wedge of Laughing Cow Light Swiss ( I spread half of the wedge on each of our sandwiches). Put all this stuff together and you have a magnificent and healthy grilled chicken sandwich!
- Thursday night was an easy night: Pizza! We had the Organics spinach and cheese and a side of Del Monte Cinnamon Peaches. I would highly recommend that you hightail it to the grocery store and pick these two things up. SOOO tasty!!!!
I am looking forward to blogging about our Super Bowl party. I was lucky enough to win a DiGiorno party pack...should be a lot of fun (even if all the girls do have the same cold)!!!!!