Our Boys

Thursday, February 3, 2011


While everything around here seems to be in reference to the unusually large amount of snow - approximately 20 inches - Snow M G was my favorite reference! Tuesday night when all this started, it was the first thing I said to Brett after picking him up at the train station. He thinks I'm funny! So while everyone by now has heard that, yeah, we got a lot of snow, I will tell you how my experience with blizzard 2011 started out.

Monday afternoon, our school announced that we would be getting out at 1:18 the following day to allow students and staff extra travel time home since that was about when the blizzard was going to hit. I was not in school that day, but rather at a training. Well, our "trainers" couldn't decide whether we were getting out early, working through lunch, etc. The decision was made to work through lunch( I was not one who voted for this option seeing as though I need to eat every few hours and I had already grazed my way through all of my snacks) and then we would get out at 1:30. well, by 1:00 everyone had received texts that their respective schools were already canceling for the next day and so we were worse than elementary kids on Halloween. They let us go around 1 and I made 2 stops on the way home. I pulled in my driveway at about 2:10 and by this point, it was an all out blizzard. I couldn't tell exactly how much it was snowing because it was blowing so dang hard. So I get out of the car with my purse (AKA very large bag with everything I would need for the whole day), three grocery bags, coffee mug and keys. I get to the front door...insert key...turn...push down on handle. Nothing. Try again. Nothing. Put bags back in car. Try again. Nothing. Tray again. Nothing. Try kicking the door. Nothing.

Well, our front door has been sticking and we knew it probably needed replaced but those things are pricey so we'd been putting it off.

So there I stand - 6 months pregnant, starving, I have to pee, there is a blizzard going on around me and the STINKING FRONT DOOR WON'T OPEN. So, I did what any rational person would do, I started to think of ways that i could break into the house, weighing the cost of various things I intended to break. In the end, I called Brett who looked up a locksmith and got someone to come and take the lock apart and let me in. Unfortunately, it took him almost an hour to get to our house and another hour to get the lock open. So, at 4:15ish, I finally got into the house.

Additional notes to this story - the dogs barked the ENTIRE two hours that I could not get in (Tucker was hoarse) and the man opening the door shows 4 inches of plumber's crack every time he bent over. You would think he would have dressed better knowing there was a blizzard coming.

1 comment:

d.a.r. said...

Oh what bad timing for the door to stick!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...