Our Boys

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Soup {Recipe}

Souper Sunday - Week 2 was an old favorite, Zuppa Tuscano. But last week, Week 3, we were daring and tried a brand new soup. Since we love buffalo chicken dip, we decided it could only be better in soup form.  I had to do a little digging the internet to find one that sounded like it would turn out. It was good and is definitely "make again" but with several changes.

Buffalo Chicken Soup


Ingredients

    • 2 bunches green onions, chopped
    • 3 stalks celery, chopped
    • 1/4 cup butter
    • 1/4 cup flour
    • 3/4 cup milk (I used a cup)
    • 3/4 cup chicken broth (I used a cup; also made my own with some chicken base and the water I boiled the chicken in)
    • 2 cups diced cooked chicken (I used 1 lb.; not sure how that compares to 2 cups)
    • 1/4-1/2 cup chicken wing sauce (I used closer to 1/2 cup and it was SPICEY)
    • 4 ounces Velveeta cheese (forgot to put in)
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions

  1. Saute onions and celery in butter until tender.
  2. Stir in flour until smooth.
  3. Slowly add milk and broth.
  4. Add remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cheese has melted.
  5. Serve with biscuits, breadsticks crescent rolls, or crushed tortilla chips. 


*So it really was good, but it was super thick and didn't make much at all. So next time, I would use 2 cups of milk (actually probably half and half) and 2 cups broth, maybe even more, because it needed a lot more broth. I also would not put the velveeta in, I think that seems odd, but I think I would add 4 ounces of cream cheese instead. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...